Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Want to Reread

This is my second Top Ten Tuesday post, you can read the first here. Top Ten Tuesday was created and is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is...

Top Ten Books I Want To Reread
(links go to my reviews or to Amazon pages for the editions I own, where possible)

1. The Boy Book, by E. Lockhart
I have already reread The Boyfriend List so that I could review it, and I'm planning to reread this fairly soon so that I can write my review and then move on to the next two books in the Ruby Oliver series with it fresh in my mind.
2. The Magic Toyshop, by Angela Carter
I originally read a bashed up copy from my university library, and a couple of Christmasses ago I got this lovely hardback edition and I haven't read it yet! I love The Magic Toyshop, it's probably the best piece of literary fiction with a teenage protagonist that I've read.
3. The Cheap Date Guide To Style
This isn't a fiction book, this is a style inspiration book. I got it out of the library years ago, and got my own copy because it became clear that I needed it in my life permanently! Every time I read it I feel reinspired to dress up and have fun with clothes.
4. The Harry Potter series
I can race through a Harry Potter book like nothing else, but I've never actually reread the whole series. I've read the first book a couple of times, and read at least half of The Order of the Phoenix more than once. But I was never one of those people who had to reread all the previous books before the new one or the new film came out, because I usually had too many other books on the go already. I'd like to re-read them all in sequence though, and I'd quite like to listen to the audiobooks.
5. The Diary of a Crush trilogy
I need to review these, plus, I need to read them whilst listening to Belle and Sebastian as is suggested at the front of each book. A few years back I decided that first I was going to geek out shamelessly and watch all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, alternating episodes as they would have originally been shown on US TV, and then I was going to reread Diary of a Crush whilst listening to Belle and Sebastian. I finished The Great Buffy Rewatch (as I termed it) earlier this year but I have yet to move on to DoaC.
6. Ghostwritten, by David Mitchell
For a long time this was my favourite book but I haven't reread it in years because my copy went MIA. It was a really nice copy that I got for 10p in a library sale, too. Best 10p I've ever spent.
7. Saving Francesca, by Melina Marchetta
I remember that I absolutely loved this book and possibly even referenced it in my MA portfolio but I can only vaguely recall what it's about.
8. Notes From The Teenage Underground, by Simmone Howell
I've got a weird craving to reread this. Possibly because I reread Everything Beautiful for Body Image and Self-Perception month last summer, so the quality of Simmone's writing is still quite fresh in my mind.
9. Boy Meets Boy, by David Levithan
Ditto for the weird craving, I don't know, it was a really sweet book (not a pun referencing the cover...oh okay yes it is) and I'm just in the mood!
10. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll
I have this cute little hardback edition that I've had since I was a kid and traditionally reread every year, I don't think I have done it this year yet. It doesn't take very long so hopefully I'll squeeze it in soon.

plus bonus point 11 for the list because I just thought of another:

11. The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett
If I was to write a list of most reread books, I think this would be number one. I have reread the Diary of a Crush books, and bits of the books (seriously, sometimes I just find myself picking one up, opening it at a random page, and reading on from there) so many times I've lost count, and Alice gets done almost every year. But I adored The Secret Garden when I was a child, and when I was a teenager. Out of all the books that I've owned since they were new, it's the most damaged, purely because it's been read so much. I haven't reread it in quite a few years though, and I should.

4 comments:

  1. I've reread the Harry Potter books lots of times, the only one I think I've only read once is the final book... actually I might have read it twice!

    I often re-read the Belgariad/Malloreon by David Eddings because for a ten book series it's an incredibly quick read and all the fantasy cliches and sly winks amuse me terribly.

    My childhood multiple reread was a collected edition of the "Faraway Tree" and "Wishing Chair" series by Enid Blyton. I also liked the Secret Garden, White Fang, Water Babies, A Little Princess, and the Chronicles of Narnia. All were read many times over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list! Harry Potter and The Secret Garden are both on my list as well!

    And there are lots more here that I will need to look into.

    Sue

    www.greatbooksforkidsandteens.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read a great many of those. Except Harry Potter, of course(I've read all of them about a dozen times each so far). And Notes From the Teenage Underground, and The Secret Garden. I hadn't even heard of the ones besides those.

    http://ittybittyampersand.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire - I reread all my Enid Blyton books more times than I could count. I also read Water Babies a few times but I think I read it when I was a bit too young and didn't completely understand it! I've only ever read all the Narnia books once, I think I got them from the school library.

    Sue - Thanks!

    Grace - I would really like to reread the Harry Potters! One day...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...