Monday, January 09, 2012

Monday Amusements 2

In late 2010 I posted my first round of Monday Amusements on this blog. I intended to make it a semi-regular feature...and didn't post a single one in 2011. But now it's 2012, and January, traditionally a time to start new efforts, or at least to try again, and I want to be able to share all the book-related fabulosity that I stumble across with like-minded folk, so I'm going to give it another go.

Unfortunately I was ill just before Christmas and this scuppered my plans to get all the reviews for the books I'd read up by the end of the year. Hopefully I'll be posting the last couple of 2011's book reviews in the next few days. After that I'll post my Top Ten of 2011, but for now, enjoy these links.

 Photo by eflon

Spread the Word are rerunning their amazing free mentoring scheme for young writers, Flight! If you're a writer aged between 18-24 and live in Greater London you should definitely consider applying (closing date: 30th January 2012). I went on a course with some of the mentees from the previous programme and it seemed like it was a fantastic experience for them.

If you would like a reading challenge with minimum commitment, the 1001 Books community on Livejournal intends to review every book recommended in the book 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. If you sign up, you'll be assigned a book by the moderator to read and review. Once you've reviewed your book, you can request to be assigned another. I think it's a great idea and if I manage to get my TBR down, I'll be joining in.

I've really enjoyed reading the winning and shortlisted entries to Mookychick's Feminist Flash Fiction competition.

Spread the Word are now running a competition too - just write 300 words inspired by the picture here (closes 2nd March 2012). If you write fiction that takes a longer form, the Mslexia 2012 Women's Short Story competition is also open (closing date 19th March 2012).

Finally, what will you be doing on February 4 2012? Celebrating National Libraries Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...