Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Amusements 28

So many books! This is my book haul from the Friday before last - the four from Oxford University Press were given out at their Storm Your Imagination event, and the others were gifts from other bloggers except for The Worst Girlfriend in the World, which came in the post, courtesy of Atom Book.

I have been adding some new blogs to Feedly! Hopefully this will lead to more diversity in my Monday Amusements.

Jo at Once Upon a Bookcase is Desperately Seeking Romance (novels), go comment with your recommendations!

I pretty much agreed with everything Raimy at Readaraptor wrote about the book age certificate debate in Certificates for YA books? Seriously?. This debate seems to rear its silly head every couple of years and thankfully never goes anywhere.

This is Not Why YA is Important - Maggie Stiefvater hits the nail on the head.

I have an enormous collection of writing guidebooks, so I really liked L.K. Hill's mini-reviews of the how-to guides she's been reading recently.

A Daydreamer's Thoughts is hosting a Noughts & Crosses Read-A-Long! I am tempted but I read the first book fairly recently...

My favourite reviews this fortnight:
Grasshopper Jungle, by Andrew Smith, at weartheoldcoat
A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki, at Outlandish Lit
Scarlet, by A.C. Gaughen, at Rather Be Reading
Being Sloane Jacobs, by Lauren Morrill, at Geeky Chiquitas

Is there anything you think this post should have included? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, the debate about what warnings books should have on them is all around. Normally if it does have an age suggestion it's small so I don't think many judge on that... I think there should be a warning to some extent but we can use our common sense. The book mentioned for swearing made it clear it on the cover by having *&(^%$^ or whatever; I think kids can definitely censor something & swearwords are definitely everywhere in our society, and yes- kids use them. Often, some time in teenagehood, we reflect how it seemed cooler when you were supposed to be young & innocent BUT proved society wrong.
    Have you seen Hot Key apparently have rings which show content & will include the aspects people may not find appropriate. If it contains something explicit, it says. GOOD IDEA.

    Maggie was definitely right <3 I hope you're enjoying the OUP books BTW & also, knowing you like Sarra Manning, it's awesome you got her new book! ENJOY ALL THE READINGS :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the Hot Key rings thanks to Twitter, I think that's a good compromise. When I was a teenager I definitely thought it was cool to swear, I was so good in every other way, being a bookish, nerdy girl, and swearing was my little way of rebelling! I didn't pick it up from books or even television, I learnt all the swear words from other teenagers at school!

      Thank you! I TOTALLY WILL :D

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...