Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Things On My Reading Wishlist

Top Ten Tuesday was created and is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This is my twenty-eighth Top Ten Tuesday.

I haven't done any of these in ages! But as I mentioned in this video, Top Ten Tuesday is my favourite book blogging meme, and I want to get back into the habit of joining in every week. This theme struck me as being quite similar to Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make Me Pick Up or Buy A Book and Top Ten Settings I'd Like To See More Of (Or At All), but I have tried hard to think of different things for this list!

Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist

1. Loneliness - As much as I love reading about friendships, being a teenager can be a very lonely experience and I like to see more YA novels deal with this.

2. Young carers - I've been doing some work recently that relates to carers and it occurred to me the other day that I've probably never read, or even heard of, a book about a child who has to care for their parent, even though according to the 2011 census, there are 178,000 young carers (under 18s) in England and Wales. I've seen TV shows about this issue, but I can't think of any books. If you have any suggestions, let me know in the comments.

3. Unusual hobbies - learning about new things is almost the whole point of reading, right? I would love to read more fun novels about characters with unusual hobbies. Totally painless education!

4. Diversity in New Adult books - I would love to see everything Jamie from The Perpetual Page Turner put on her list, but I would be particularly interested in this. I read one New Adult book last year (The Secret of Ella and Micha) but haven't bothered trying any others as they all seem to have the same themes. I'd love to read books about "new adults" where romance isn't the main focus. I'd also like to see more diverse characters as well, in terms of race and sexuality and gender.

5. Open ended romances - a romance can be a powerful and meaningful story even if the characters don't refer to each other as soulmates and declare their eternal love by the end of the book.

6. Volunteering - I can think of a couple of books where the main character does some volunteering but not many. Volunteering is GREAT. There should be more.

7. YA characters that want a science-related job when they grow up - Don't get me wrong, I love reading about teen musicians and actors and artists, but it would be cool if there were more characters that planned on becoming a medical doctor or a engineer or a research chemist, for example.

8. Businesspeople - I'd like to read more fiction about people who start businesses. I don't know that much about business, and as I said in point 3, reading novels about it would be a totally painless form of education!

9. More family drama - families are important and sometimes very difficult to deal with but they get sidelined in a lot of books. I would like to read more books where family is a focus or at least equal in importance to the romance/friendship drama.

10. Couples that stay together throughout the whole novel - no dramatic flounce-led breakups, just ordinary ups and downs for us to enjoy following. Without babies. I have no interest in reading about babies.

Do you have any of these things on your reading wishlist? Have you any book recommendations for me?

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:18 pm

    I'd love a book where couples stayed together without all the drama! Great list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think there would have to be a little drama for it to be interesting, but there can be drama without break-ups or cheating!

      Delete
  2. Great list! There are lots of young carers - my cousins lost their mum suddenly last year and as she was the carer for their dad (he was left brain damaged and wheelchair bound) it has left them responsible for him, they are 19 and 11. I think I'd love to be able to give my little cousin a book that she could relate to, that showed a character struggling with all the things she struggles with. I wanted more variety in NA too, they all seem pretty much the same. I'd love a dystopian/new adult mix! :)

    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Exactly, it would be great for young carers to read, plus it would help educate other people so that they know what it involves and what it is like.

      Delete
  3. I agree that there should be more books about teens volunteering. This would encourage teens to go out and make a difference after they've read the books! Nice list!
    Check out my TTT list and please follow my blog, Book Savvy: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books about families, too! One writer who does big, crazy families especially well is Adriana Trigiani. She's Italian, so her characters are also Italian, so that makes them even more fun :)

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Lucia, Lucia, and I really enjoyed it, she's definitely very good at writing about families. And food! I really must read some more of her books.

      Delete
  5. You have a pretty great list here! I agree with quite some of the ones of your list.

    I would really like to see/read a great YA about siblings. I feel like I haven't read one of those in forever and I love them!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't read one for a while either.

      Delete
  6. Great list, I also would like to read a book about loneliness because it's a theme I've always been drawn to and I would love to read stories that had a bigger focus on families as well and I would like more characters that are into science because those characters are usually geeky and I love that type of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love geeky characters too!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...