Sunday, November 23, 2014

Bookish Brits Vlog 22: On Swearing in YA


In this vlog I talk about the issue of swearing in YA and why I am pro-swearing in books.

One thing I didn't talk about much is the idea that teenagers will be encouraged to swear more by reading about characters that swear, and I can understand why parents and teachers want to disencourage swearing! Also, some people have since mentioned that YA books are often read by younger kids, who might not have come across much swearing before, and who won't necessarily understand that it is often not appropriate to swear. I would argue that books present an opportunity for parents and teachers to discuss appropriate language with their kids and pupils :)

Bookish Brits on Twitter
Bookish Brits on Instagram
Bookish Brits on Facebook
Bookish Brits on Pinterest
The Bookish Brits Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...