Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make Me Pick Up or Buy A Book
1. Quirky - it's right there in my profile - I love quirky characters, settings, plots, and details. If a book features a character who works in a cute café, or lives in a houseboat, I'm sold.
2. Music - I've got to love a book with a soundtrack or with musicians.
3. Theatre - the swish of the curtain, the glare of the lights, the costumes, the dramatics. I love getting behind the scenes of the stage, even if it's only at summer camp or school.
4. Ballet - see point three. Since reading Bunheads I've added tonnes of books about dancers to my wishlist.
5. Fairytale - I find fairytales irresistible in all their forms, as described a couple of months back in another Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Characters in Modern Fairy Tales and Fairy Tale Retellings.
6. Friends - I love books that explore the dynamics of friendship, such as the Ruby Oliver Quartet. Most recently I enjoyed reading about the problems Echo has with her friends in Pushing the Limits.
7. 1920s - there are many books on my wishlist set or written during the twenties or thirties, and it's all thanks to the course I took at university that required me to read Vile Bodies.
8. Folklore - further to point five, I really like finding new takes on traditional folklore. I've always loved mythology but I think that there is so much more untapped potential in local legends from around the world.
9. Parties - I probably like reading about parties more than actually going to them. Bonus if the party is in historical fiction - see point seven!
10. Heroines - I can't get enough of inspiring girls and women who grow in strength and resolve to overcome the challenges they face.
Do you share any of my bookish addictions?