Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: The Boy Book, by E. Lockhart

 Love that face. Photo by richardghawley

Social leper and famous slut Ruby Oliver is back at Tate Prep for junior year 1, and whilst trying to make amends with her former friends, get through therapy, and decide what boy she’s interested in, she has further potential debacles to deal with, such as:

Being friends with Meghan
Choosing an activity for November Week2
Being able to afford the activity for November Week
A new job at the Zoo
Protecting Nora from boys who want to pass topless photos of her around the school
and Meghan’s relationship problems.

Of course I loved The Boy Book! I’ve actually read it twice – after I got The Treasure Map of Boys for Christmas, I couldn’t resist a re-read so that I was properly prepared. Ruby’s adventures continue to enthral me, and whilst reading The Boy Book I developed even more of a crush on Noel than I had before. If you want to talk ships, I am definitely on the Ruby and Noel boat. I just loved reading their Hooter Rescue Squad e-mails. I also liked finding more out about Meghan, Tate Prep in general, and Ruby’s former friendship with Kim, Nora and Cricket. It was great to see Ruby try to make wiser decisions and be a better friend. Also, I really want to go on my own Canoe Island trip.

Each chapter begins with an excerpt from The Boy Book, a guide to boykind created by Ruby and her former friends, Kim, Cricket and Nora. It was mentioned briefly in The Boyfriend List and I think it works really well to tie the two novels together and to reminds us how Ruby feels about having lost the friendships she used to have.

If you enjoyed The Boyfriend List I’m sure you’ll love The Boy Book – it’s basically more of the same, which is why writing this review is so hard. I’ve already gushed over the wonders of the setting, Ruby’s parents, etc, in my review of The Boyfriend List, so check it out if you need more convincing to read the Ruby Oliver series.

Read an except from The Boy Book and other related information.
Jo's review at Once Upon a Bookcase
Clover's review at Fluttering Butterflies




1 Which I think is the third/second-to-last year of high school? Somebody American correct me if I’m wrong please!

2 An outdoors themed week at Tate Prep in which participation is compulsory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...